anonymous (adj): of unknown name; lacking individuality or distinction

apostrophe (n): the direct address of an absent or imaginary person, or of a personified abstraction

anostrophe (n): letters with nowhere to go

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

initial epistle

Dear reader,

I love to write letters. I compose them in my head all the time: to people I love and hate and barely know, people from my past, present, and future. Sometimes, to vague groups of people ("those who think berets look cool") or to inanimate objects ("the coffee pot I forgot to turn off"). Usually, though, it's to a person I have actually known, or hope to know someday.

These letters are all, in some way, unsendable. But I write them anyway, and I have to put them somewhere. I still want them to be read, even if not by the intended recipient. Frequently, I find them beautiful, funny, interesting, or, at the very least, cathartic.

Many people mentally compose things in their heads, but then there's nowhere for them to go. Well, I'm utilizing the world's largest dumping ground (read: the internet) to put all these things out there. If you are currently wishing you'd thought of this first, then know I would love to eventually add more authors to this blog.

Names will be altered to protect the innocent.

Sincerely,
Vi

P.S. The blog address comes from a combination of "anonymous," which most of the letters will be addressed to, and "apostrophe," which for you non-English majors is "an exclamatory passage in a speech or poem addressed to a person (typically one who is dead or absent) or thing (typically one that is personified)."

No comments: